Matcha Strawberry Cream Scones

No comments
Ever since 'Joy the Baker' put up her 'Tiny Strawberry Cream Scones', I've been wanting to make them. Not just because it seemed super easy, but also, remember the boxes of strawberries I mentioned in my last post? I still got them! And I need to finish them really quick before they start going all mushy on me.


But I didn't want to do exactly what Joy did. It wouldn't be all that fun that way would it? So I went with matcha. I'd been having this green tea powder since my last visit to Singapore and thought this would be the best way to start using it. Strawberry and matcha seemed nice. Atleast in my head. You could also skip the matcha and just do what Joy did. You wouldn't have to do anything but take out the matcha from the recipe. No alterations but that.


Ingredients

3 cups         all purpose flour
1 tbsp.         baking powder
1tsp             salt
1/3 cup        sugar
1+1/3 cup    cream
1 tbsp.         matcha powder
1/3 cup       chopped strawberries
brown sugar for topping

Method

1. Preheat oven to 220C(425F). Line tray with parchment paper.
2. Dry whisk dry ingredients other than matcha together
3. Stir in matcha powder into the cream till completely mixed in
4. Mix in cream mixture into dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Add strawberries. It will seem lumpy and shaggy but will come together in a while.
5. Empty dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten out into a disk. (I didn't use a rolling pin, hence the uneven surface)
6. Use cookie cutters to make nice even scones. Sprinkle brown sugar liberally on top.
7. Bake for 12-14 mins ideally. My microwave takes 25 mins.

SERVE WARM! (very important)



These make around 2 dozen mini scones. It's best had warm. I thought the matcha flavor would be too strong, but it really went well with the strawberries when it was warm and fresh from the oven. I didn't really appreciate the flavours cold. It had also become a bit soggy with all those fresh strawberry juices having had time to seep out.

No comments :

Post a Comment