Beer Buttermilk Pancakes

No comments


I admit it. I favour a good breakfast over most meals. Mainly cos simple things are good enough to make me happy. Also helps that breakfast is also the easiest meal to cook with not too many complications. No wonder I can have breakfast anytime of the day.


More than a month ago, I had a burger party at my place. Homemade buns, burger patties, condiments, salad etc etc... The only thing that wasn't literally homemade were the two dozen cans of beer I got my little brother to haul for me from a couple of streets down. But nobody drank. Really, nobody. Well, almost, nobody. They did have an almost drunk, slightly tipsy chef in action. Flipping burgers when drunk can be extremely tasty is all I can say.

So I was left with over a dozen cans of beer and no clue what to do about them. I tried drinking it, but without burgers to flip it just got boring after a while. Hence I've decided that going forward beer is going to be a feature in almost all my dishes. Or so I say for now.

You'll like these pancakes. They keep in the fridge and they're extremely soft right out of the fridge. even when its cold. Isn't that surprising? It is to me. I think the whipped egg whites did the trick, and of course the beer.



Ingredients

2 eggs separated
1/2 cup beer
1/2 cup whole milk (don't skimp. use cream if you feel like)
1/tsp vinegar (or use lime juice as souring agent)
1 cup flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
zest of one lime / few drops vanilla extract

Method

Curdle milk with vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to make buttermilk
Whip egg whites to stiff peaks
Dry whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lime zest
Whisk egg yolks, buttermilk & beer
Add wet ingredients to dry till the lumps are barely there
Gently fold in egg whites to the batter
Heat a non stick pan on medium low flame.
Pour batter 1/4 cup at a time. Cook till bubbles pop on surface. Flip and cook till golden brown underneath.





Remember I had a post on poaching pears and said save up the leftover syrup? I still have some leftover from my last poaching session and that's what I used over these pancakes. I think it tastes fab and has an edge over honey. I can't afford maple syrup in India anyway.

No comments :

Post a Comment