Cornmeal Pancakes

No comments

This is my first motion shot. I have a long way to go, but atleast it's a start. I've still not unpacked the tripod. I balance my camera on a chair sometimes, but mostly I still work handheld. I got my dad's tripod from home a little less than a year ago, but the thought of using it makes me shiver. Have I really progressed that far to be using my father's tripod? Daddy is one of the best photographers I've ever met personally or have seen their work. Back in the day when there was only black and white film, he indulged in SLRs and took some really nice shots mostly of family and my cousins. By the time, I came around, he'd lost his interest in photography, so sadly I didn't look good in pictures even as a child! But my brother and sister? They could have been child models from the photos he'd taken.

Why cornmeal pancakes? Last week, I made a solo trip to Indigo Deli and indulged in some pork chops which came along with cornbread. I was so enamoured by the flavour, though I think it could have been a teeny weeny bit more moist. Made me think, perhaps I've been treating cornmeal with a little too much trepidation. After all, I'd made polenta myself and liked it. I could maybe try out other things as well at home. There's cornbread, that polenta cake recipe I'd been eyeing for a while, but the easiest to start off with? Cornmeal pancakes. As usual, the internet is my friend when it comes to these things. So I read up and figured, I could use my regular pancake recipe, but substitute half the flour with cornmeal. And so I went ahead. I really liked it. Maybe my palate is getting used to cornmeal now. 

After having these pancakes again, this time with bacon & poached pear jus, I think these are going to replace regular pancakes for me now. Mostly because of the savoury element which cornmeal imparts that really sets it apart from a regular pancake.


Serves 2

Ingredients

3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk *
1/2 tsp vinegar *
1 egg
Butter for seasoning the frying pan

Method

1. Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. In another bowl add vinegar to milk and wait for 5 mins to let it curdle to become buttermilk.
*Alternately use buttermilk
3. Whisk buttermilk and egg together
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir till just mixed. Do not overmix. The batter will be thick at this point. If its too thick, add a little bit of milk/buttermilk to loosen it up.
5. In a well season frying pan over low flame, add a little butter to coat the surface and then pour in the batter 1/4 cup at a time.
6. Cover and cook till its golden brown on the underside. Flip and cook again till its cooked through.
7. Repeat till the pancake batter is over.

Serve this with honey, maple syrup, your favourite preserve/compote. I had some strawberry syrup from my last roasting session which I used. Not quite thick as a regular syrup, but very very delicious.

No comments :

Post a Comment