Fig & Honey Cake

No comments


Figs! I've always enjoyed them as anjeer ice cream at Naturals. But never thought I'd actually add them to a cake. April is filled with birthdays in our family. Since its summer, we all prefer fruity stuff over anything else. I went in search of blackberries which I'd seen with a hawker. But persistent efforts to find blackberries in this neighbourhood ended up 'fruit'less. Disappointed I just picked up a box of figs at the store and decided to wing it. I used a recipe I found on a lovely food blog 'Tart to Heart' I discovered on the search for Fresh Fig cakes. It's quite similar to the last couple of cakes I've posted, except it uses Honey. Imagine Honey? I've never actually used it as an ingredient in a cake. Exciting!!! The recipe uses butter which I conveniently ignored and subbed with olive oil.  Yeah, yeah we continue with that.



So this was my Fig & Honey Cake for my brother. We had certain electrical issues here, which resulted in the oven switching off in between and the cake getting burnt around the edges, but nothing to detract the flavour. A good looking cake I have to say (except for the browning :(). Appreciated and consumed with gusto with many requests for seconds. According to my brother the cake started developing more flavours the second day.





I served it with cream and compote (Again!!). But this time, I brandied the figs to make the compote... yay!!

Adapted from Carly Sullivan's 'Fresh Fig Almond Cake'

Ingredients

1 cup      All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup   Almond Meal
1 tsp       Baking Powder
1/4 tsp    Baking Soda
1/2 cup   Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup   Sugar
1/4 cup   Honey
2             Eggs
1/2 cup   Yoghurt
4 large fresh figs, cut in eighths

How

Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line an 8" tin.
Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda.
Whisk all the wet ingredients(evoo, honey, eggs, yoghurt) with sugar.
Fold in flour mix and almond meal till you get a uniform mix.
Pour batter into prepared tin.
Lightly press the figs in concentric circles on top of the batter
Bake for 45 mins. Cool in tin for 15 mins before turning out.

PS: I feel really bad about cake getting browned so much.


No comments :

Post a Comment