Deep Chocolate Orange Marmalade Cake

No comments
They say if you make three significant changes to a recipe it becomes your own. I haven't gone the stretch, but its still significant enough for me to call it my own I think,



For a while there after the 'Liqueured Peach Cake' I stopped baking. In fact I stopped going into the kitchen other than for warming up stuff, opening takeaway Chinese, and whipping up some awesome milk shakes with super tasty milk from Sarda Farms, more on that later.

I made this one evening when I felt I just had to bake, I just had to had to had to. Do you feel the same way anytime? I didn't know what to make, I wasn't really feeling inspired. Chocolate seemed the easiest and safest for an uninspired moment. I scouted around and found a recipe which seemed simple, chocolatey and not too fancy. But I guess in the final moment inspiration actually struck and so there I had this nice chocolatey, fruity cake with a nice bite to it.




I gave it away to my brother and sis-in-law, appreciative consumers of most things I make. But I did keep a couple of slices for myself which I tucked into last night and realized 'Oh really! this thing is really good'. Especially as a snack, perhaps with your tea or I should say coffee since I drink mostly coffee unless its green tea to cut down my fat ass.



Inspired by a Bon Appetit recipe for Deep Chocolate Cake

21/4 cup     all purpose flour
1 tsp           baking powder
1/4 tsp        baking soda
1/2 cup       cream
1/2 cup       milk
1/4 cup       cocoa powder unsweetened
1/4 cup       honey
2 tbsp.        boiling water
3/4 cup      sugar
100g          salted butter
2                eggs
1/4 cup      semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup      cocoa nibs
3 tbsp.       orange marmalade

Preheat oven to 190C
Grease and line a 9 inch bread tin
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder in a bowl
In another bowl mix cream and milk
Stir in cocoa powder into the water and honey till you get a smooth mix (no lumps) and set aside to cool.
Add this to the milk cream mixture.
Whip butter and sugar till cream and fluffy
Add eggs one at a time and beat in
Fold in flour and milk mix alternately in 2 gos till you get a uniform batter
Fold in chocolate chips, cocoa nibs and marmalade
Bake for 55-60m mins or till a toothpick comes out clean

My sis-in-law says it tastes more fruity than chocolatey even though it has only 3 tbsps of marmalade.

No comments :

Post a Comment