Hot Chocolate

No comments

It's the season to keep yourself warm. And warmth is best done with hot chocolate, warm broths and Christmas cards from friends far away. It was quite a surprise getting a card from Jenny. She'd asked me for my address a couple of weeks ago. I shared it, but didn't really check why she needed the address. My neighbour knocked on my door when I got back from my vacation and handed me the card. It isn't everyday I get a handwritten card from anyone. And the thought made me really happy. Thanks Jenny & Roy. My times with you guys in London were some of the best ever. Not to mention all the time we spent together in Bangalore.



The hot chocolate is something I've been wanting to share for a while now. Ever since the cold, or what of the cold hit Bombay, I've been making hot chocolate. I even gifted my sister & Upali a jar of hot chocolate mix which they just needed to mix in hot milk and drink. But I haven't tasted that myself and I'm awaiting their verdicts before sharing it. But this, this is something I've been sipping on for a while now. Sometimes I add instant coffee, always a bit of cinnamon and if I'm feeling really adventurous a spot of chilli to give it an extra kick.


I never really followed a recipe, Just chopped a bunch of chocolate in milk, whisk and drink. But then I decided to check out David Lebovitz's site and realized I'm not really that way off. Off all the hot chocolate recipes on the site, mine's closest to Parisian Hot Chocolate I guess. I don't add sugar to mine. I think the chocolate I use, even if its 70% cocoa has enough sugar to go ahead. But then it depends on taste and you can add sugar according to your palate.


Ingredients

1 cup milk
65g dark chocolate
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
1/8 tsp chilli powder (optional)

Chop Chocolate into small pieces. Grate it if possible (and have patience)
Bring milk to boil in a saucepan.
Add chopped chocolate and whisk the milk till the chocolate is completely melted.
Continue whisking on low heat for another 3 mins.
Add optional ingredients as required

Ideally this would serve one. But it's really heavy and  really, honestly, it's not that cold in Bombay... haha
So it goes for atleast 2 servings for me. I stretch it to 4 when I just want to have a couple of sips occasionally. You can also make this in advance and warm before serving.

Enjoy!



PS: The white line on the cup is a reflection from the tablecloth I'd pulled across. I'm constantly trying to better my pics. But in my own messy way of doing things, I miss out certain details.

No comments :

Post a Comment