Persimmon Bread

No comments


Persimmons are a very seasonal fruit. They come right around end of Oct - early November and very quickly disappear. I've hardly seen them with the regular fruit sellers, but have had to go deeper into the market to see them. There are two varieties of persimmons Fuyu and Hachiya. In India we get only the Hachiya. To me they taste like a cross between a chikoo/sapota and a mango. It has a smoother texture than sapota and is actually quite nice.


As nice as they are eaten plain, I went around hunting for a recipe for this fruit and found one with trusty David Lebovitz which he apparently has taken inspiration from James Beard. Like yes, The James Beard. Can't go wrong now, can I?

The final bread has a complex flavor of nuts and raisins and fruit. I switched over walnuts for cashews cos I had some at hand. I also halved the measurement of nuts and raisins and I still found the raisins to be quite a bit. Probably, next time I'll cut down even more on raisins.


Ingredients

13/4 cup  plain flour
1 cup      sugar
1 tsp      ground nutmeg
2 tbsp.    baking soda

2              eggs
1 cup       persimmon puree (From on large persimmon)
100 g      salted butter melted
1/3 cup   cognac/bourbon/whiskey

1/2 cup   cashews chopped
1/2 cup   raisins/kismis

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a loaf tin.
Dry whisk the first 4 ingredients together.
Whisk eggs, puree, persimmon, butter and cognac to get a uniform mix.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the egg mix and stir till just combined.
Add cashews and raisins and stir till just mixed.
Pour into prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 60 mins or till a tooth pick comes out clean.

Mine started looking a bit dark earlier, but it wasn't done till the 60 mins were over. By then the whole house smelt of nutmeg and nuts and it was soooooo lovely. My maid and I kept mentioning over the aroma. I'm sure she'll enjoy a piece when she comes in tomorrow.

Again a breakfast, dessert, snack or anytime cake.

No comments :

Post a Comment