Orange Marmalade & Pistachio rolls

No comments


Everytime I look at my pictures, I think I should get myself a camera. And then I put aside the thought for another rainy day when I cook up a storm, take pictures and think oh man! there's just too much noise in these pictures. This one's been adjusted using instagram and picasa. Though I still can't make a bad shot good. The one I put up on FB was unfiltered and in my opinion was a sad picture for something as lovely as these rolls.


I always look at cinnamon rolls and think, these are so lovely, but soo done. Everyone in the world seems to be making them. And frankly, even if my brother's favourite spice is cinnamon and we add it to everything starting from coffee, I'm beginning to get tired of cinnamon rolls. Around November, when it was orange season around here, someone gifted my father a bunch of oranges. I'm guessing this is the point where I should insert a link for 'Orange Ginger Marmalade'. But I haven't typed it up. So feel free to use whichever marmalade you have at home :-)

This recipe is from Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls. Its marvelous, but her recipe could feed an army. So I cut it down more to our kind of consumption.

I'm sharing the recipe for the rolls. Go crazy with the fillings.

Ingredients

1cup           milk
1/4cup        refined oil
1/4cup        Sugar
1 tsp           Active dried yeast
21/2cup     all purpose flour
1/4tsp        baking powder (heaping teaspoon please)
1/4tsp        baking soda (scant teaspoon)
1/8cup       melted butter

  1. Warm milk, refined oil and sugar to scalding point (just below boiling). Let it cool till it becomes lukewarm.
  2. Add yeast and wait for a minute or so for the yeast to start getting active.
  3. Add 21/4 cups of flour and stir with a wooden spoon. I always get a semi gloopy mix at this stage, But I adjust flour ratios later on.
  4. Cover and let rest for an hour. The dough would have risen. Into this mix, add the remaining flour, baking powder and baking soda and give a thorough stir. The mix shouldn't look gloopy now. But if it is, feel free to add some more flour, a teaspoon at a time. But remember the mix will not look like bread dough but will be lot more sticky and tacky.
  5. Flour your rolling surface and dowel. Split your dough into two equal parts. Take one and roll out into a long thin rectangle.
  6. Brush surface with melted butter. Spread marmalade in a thick layer. Sprinkle chopped pistachios on top.
  7. Start rolling the rectangle lengthwise from the outside till you get a tight roll. Pinch the seams to seal it.
  8. Cut roll into 1 inch pieces. Place cut side up on a greased/lined baking tray and let it rest for 20 mins.
  9. Give enough room for the rolls to expand.
  10. Preheat oven to 190C/375F and bake for 15-18 mins.

Voila! Orange Marmalade & Pistachio rolls ready.



This might look longwinded and the first time might seem complicated. Second time on, its a breeze and becomes a go-to recipe for any kind of sweet rolls.

No comments :

Post a Comment