DIY: Blender Mayonnaise

No comments


Have you ever tried pounding your mayo together? I have. Not easy. Have you tried whisking your mayo together? I'm sure you have, but again a terrible bore dripping it bit by bit and whisking till it all emulsifies.
I've always read that you have to do it by hand and not a mixer cos the heat of the motor impacts the flavour. I've never been brave enough to try it though. If I'm going to be using all that oil, it better turn out right. I hate things not working out and having to throw food away. That just seems wrong in my eyes.
These days though, my aunt and everyone else (including David Lebovitz) seems to be talking about blender mayonnaise. All you have to do is use the whole egg instead of the yolk. Fair enough. With enough victories and testimonials going around, I thought I'd try it out. You could also use a hand blender, I don't own one, so I went ahead with my trusty Molinex.


Ingredients

1 whole egg
1 tbsp mustard (I squeezed it out of a bottle, you could use powdered too)
1 tsp white wine vinegar
2/3 cup refined oil (you could use half olive oil, but I feel it overpowers the whole thing)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Method

1. Break the egg into the blender bowl
2. Add the mustard and start blending till it has mixed in.
3. Keep the mixer running and slowly drizzle in the oil a tablespoon at a time slowly while the blender works its magic
4. You'll slowly see it all thickening and building up volume.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Mayo made this way will be bulkier because of all the air whisked in, not as dense as the other techniques. The addition of the egg white also impacts the texture considerably.

PS: I've heard that a hand blender gives a completely different consistency. It's thicker and fluffier. I can't vouch for it, because, like I said, I don't own a hand blender.


No comments :

Post a Comment